Saturday, February 16, 2013

The Bella Wave crashes onto shore!

So, I did it. I made a bed sized quilt. WHOOPPEEEE! It is finished and I'm using it now. It was almost 2 months in the making, but that's because I would work diligently for a day and then leave it alone for a week or more. I think I probably have about 40 hours of work in this quilt. Are there some places that I could have picked out and restitched? Yes. But I like the idea of looking at this first large effort in several years so I can see how far I've come.

The backing is a clearance sheet from Target- can't beat a single queen-sized piece of  fabric for $11.99. The batting is not as warm as I would like. I chose a thin cotton/poly blend because I didn't want it to be bulky. On reflection though, a bit more bulk would be welcome. The binding is pre-made Wrights cotton bias quilt bias in navy. It took a little more than three packages. At $2.99 per package, this was worth every penny because of the time it saved. I'm talking hours. Have I mentioned that I hate making bias binding? Well, I do. So a big thank you to Moda, Wrights and any other company who makes bias binding.



I'm very pleased with the free-motion quilting. It has a Matisse vibe.

Panel with Mask

110 x 53 cm.
gouache and cut out paper
Danske Kunstindustrimuseet, Copenhagen
1947

      After practicing with some scrap sandwiches to get the feel of the motion and the thread tension correct (this was way more difficult than I expected) I just dove right in. It was pretty hard at first and I only got a single row done the first night. I decided because I am using a small machine to put the batting in in three sections. I did the middle third first. I then started in the very center of the quilt and worked my way to the side of the row. Then I started back in the center and worked my way to the other side of the row. I worked my way out from the center in this way. One row further in each direction. Then another row. I only quilted the green background rows and kept the thread the same color as the fabric to enhance the patterned parts of the quilts. This was the suggestion of the quilt designer, Faith of Fresh Lemon Quilts. I made her pattern with just a few tweaks. First, I made it bigger so it was bed-sized. Second, I used a different Art Gallery fabric, Splendor 1920's by Bari J. Third, I used a green background instead of white.

Bottom line- this was a successful first major quilt job. I am already planning my next project which will be a pattern from my very own brain. I am going with a strippy quilt in blues and greens for Annika, my 11 year old. It is going to be twin sized and perfect for her bed this summer. Stay tuned for for progress on that one. If I am lucky, I'll get it cut on Monday because we have a day off of school. That all depends on how well grading goes tomorrow, though. I have 65 tests, 65 power points and 195 maps to grade and enter in the gradebook before Tuesday. OY! Wish me luck.

PS. A big thank you to my two favorite tall students, who graciously hid behind the quilt so I could get a picture! You can see their fingers at the top of the quilt if you look closely. Tall students. One of many benefits of teaching eighth graders. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment